This project is located in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, the capital of the island San Cristobal. The Alejandro Alvear school serves the needs of the island´s 7,475 inhabitants. The primary school teaches children from 4 to 12 years old, whereas the secondary school teaches students from 13 to 18 years old. At the school there are over 550 students and the time schedule is divided: the primary school students receive classes from 07:15am to 12:30pm and the secondary classes from 1:00pm – 6:30pm. Each class has his one general classroom teacher who teaches all main subjects. And there are also a few specialized teachers, in English, in Arts and in Sports. They don’t have their own class but instead rotate around all the classrooms teaching their specialized subject.
Volunteers are needed to help in the following activities:
- English classes, the English teachers always needs help with preparing lessons, finding new materials such as English songs as well as practicing conversational English with volunteers to help pronunciation.
- Classroom assistant, all of the teachers need help in their classrooms, preparing lessons, helping with activities, assisting children who are slower than others etc.
- Art/Sport/IT/Music lessons – if you are very interested in these subjects you are more than welcome to help the teachers give these lessons and come up with new ideas.
When there is a big group of volunteers or a few volunteers at the same time you can always plan mini projects to carry out in the school. Recently the school garden was improved by volunteers and parents who planted trees and built a play area for children to use during the break. Other mini-projects could include:
- Painting or maintenance of classrooms
- Construction work
- Maintaining the garden and play area
- A sports event
- Painting a mural on a school wall
The school is open Monday to Friday from 07.15am to 12.30pm and from 1.00 pm to 6.30 pm, depending on if you would like to teach primary or secondary school students. You will have your weekends and afternoons free to explore the Galapagos Islands. The school year is different in the Galapagos Islands and classes finish for summer holidays in February and the start of the new school year is at the beginning of May. It is important that you are on-time and punctual.
The school is located in the Galapagos Islands, a short flight from the Ecuadorian mainland, to San Cristobal Island. The school is located in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno the Islands capital, within walking distance of your accommodation.